Learn the art of theatre administration!
Artistic interns work behind the scenes in the areas of literary management, casting, dramaturgy, production, and company management, reporting directly to the producing artistic director.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reading and documenting scripts for season planning
- Maintaining an accurate literary database of script notes
- Managing correspondence with playwrights
- Searching for new properties
- Managing rights and royalties for properties being produced
- Keeping accurate, up-to-date casting files of actors and artists
- Arranging and assisting with local auditions
- Managing correspondence with actors and designers
- Assisting with hiring paperwork
- Creating and managing displays for each show
- Gathering artistic and dramaturgical materials
- Displaying materials in visually pleasing and educationally exciting ways
- Assisting with production and special events
- Coordinating logistics
- Managing speaking engagements
- Supporting efforts to improve the audience’s experience
Skills and traits
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Maturity and reliability
Experience working in the theatrical, nonprofit, or literary realm preferred.